terça-feira, 9 de agosto de 2011

Chains

There's a legend about a man, whose sole purpose in life was to create chains. He was some sort of specialized blacksmith, a skillful creator of chains.
He had the ability of creating chains for the most varied uses, from mere acessories to industrial machinery needs. Chains that were as delicate and fragile as the hearts of those who gave them as gifts to their beloved ones, chains that were as thick and tough as the hatred of those who grew into war, imprisoned by their enemies through eternity.
Within time, he got renowned. His prices skyrocketed as his clients' requests raised. Yet, he managed to fulfill their wishes. It didn't matter whether it had to be blue or yellow, made of gold or steel. He developed chains that had no weakest link. Perfect.
His crafts seemed to get better and better, as if there was no limit for his perfection.
This drew the attention of a man, an unknown face with lots to offer. No one had the guts to ask where did he come from, nor how had he attained so much wealth. All that was known, was that he had a humongous request for the crafter. As if he had waited years until the blacksmith had reached a desired level of ability.
The blacksmith occupied all his time with the request, he did not accept any other client for a while. Rumor had it that the strange man had asked for some kind of magical chain, or perhaps, a chain so incredible that even the most skillful crafter that ever walked the earth could not craft.
For weeks he disappeared from their eyes. No one had seen him, and rumors started to spread. They started to acknowledge that perhaps, the blacksmith wouldn't work for them anymore. Perhaps, he had died trying to achieve the most brilliant chain ever made.
As it turned out, they almost got it right.
On a rainy night, as insane laughter was heard from afar. It came out of the blacksmith's house. He had, finally, achieved it.
The next day, he was found walking through the city. Insane. Telling stories about suffering and pain, even though he hadn't much more than thirty years, he had gained the appearance of a gloomy old man, deranged by his creation.
The chain of hatred.
Legend has it, that the one who bears this chain around their neck, shall acquire knowledge beyond belief. But it comes with a price, the chain feeds on it's bearer's soul. It transforms his memories, concerning those around him. It grants knowledge, and enemies. The bearer becomes obsessed with vengeance, believing that it's the only way to have their way back at those who did bad things to him in the past.
In the end, the most intelligent men succumb to their urge for revenge, alone, dreaming about killing those around him.
The blacksmith, however, made this special chain, the one and only with a weakest link. It can be broken, somehow...


I like chains, and I wondered about stories involving them. I don't really understand the purpose of this story though, just wrote it. Perhaps it can make sense in a way. But I wanted to tell you that, I do not understand forgivingness. I mean, I understand the basic meaning of it, as most people do. But I don't see how that would work in this very situation.
Some people, are not worth it. If they were, I suppose they would try to show their worth.
The way I see, forgiving in this case would be repeating the mistakes from the past, going after people again and again, even when THEY were the ones who had to come after me.
It looks so easy for them, I say "I forgive you", then they are free. But you can not assure me that I'll be free of it. If I could leave rage behind just by saying those three words, then believe me, I would have already spoken 'em.
But it's not so simple, I wish it was. I admire that you can say such words sincerely and then be free of the bad emotions, but I can not. My memory is far too good and my pain has grown far too much to let me humiliate myself for this.
As I read your words, it made some sense, and I felt like I wanted to forgive her. But I see some holes in your arguments, if I just said the words, they wouldn't be sincere. I could see myself saying "I forgive you because someone told me to, you should be thankful to her". This doesn't look like forgiving with all sincerity. And I don't see how would saying these words take my rage away. To forgive is to say these words? I don't think so, and I am left wondering, what is "to forgive someone"?
I am open to discuss this if you want. But I have to warn you that I am already locked in my thoughts as they are, and I'll hardly accept new ones that look more light-hearted. Still, I'd love to be surprised. Once again, I must ask if you are up for the challenge.
Are you?

Nenhum comentário: