sexta-feira, 12 de fevereiro de 2010

Nails

And after making our way through an old, rusty iron door I've met him. My comrades hesitate to walk further in the room. It was covered wall to wall, by strange images of angels and torture. It seemed like two very distinct persons had decorated those dirty walls. Looking at me from the other side of this place was a man.
The vision of a man with nails superficially craved into every part of his arms shocked me. At his shoulders there were some small needles, and also at some parts of his face. Some of the wounds still had blood marks around them, though it seemed most have been done a long time ago.
Even so, he had a calm look at his face. The black eyes staring at me, as some kind of weird seer that awaited my arrival. Anxiously, and patiently at the same time.
- Welcome.
- Who... are you?!
I was still alone in the room with him, the others were outside, alert to anything stranger that could happen.
- I'm just a man like you, or those friends of your out there.
- Sir, we're taking everyone out of this building, we have an order to assure you are out there and safe.
- I know, and I'll probably be.
- So, you must come with us...
- No problem.
The strange man didn't fight back nor refuse anything. Although being the strangest one we found at the building, he was one of the easiest to evacuate.
After the operation I've met him again outside, away from the crowds, who probably were afraid of even looking at him.
- So, are you done with your work?
- Yes, there are still two scout units looking for people we may have missed.
- Good.
- Just out of curiosity, why did you do that?
- What do you mean?
- These... things in your skin.
- Oh, have you ever felt the relief after a stressing situation?
- Yes...
- Or that good feeling after something painful ends? I found a way of creating this sensation whenever I wanted.
I notice a smile on his face, also, there seems to be a few nails ''missing'' on the left arm.
- See that nurse over there?
- Sure, what's with her?
- She went mad when she saw me, then started to take some of the nails out. I begged her to stop claiming it hurted too much. She'll probably come back soon and take some more.
- You don't want to take them now? Want to go to a hospital or...?
- No, no. I want her to come and take some more, you have no idea of how terrific it feels. It's incredible the feeling you have when these things get out, at first it might hurt but it's like freeing your arms from horrible weights.
- So you did this... on purpose?!
- Of course, by creating pain, someone will come and save me from it. Relieve me. You appreciate these kind actions better when you are in peril.
I stood there, looking at him. Somehow, part of it actually made some sense, but the most was just outrageous.
- Don't you agree with me?

Um comentário:

Karoline Alves disse...

Esse texto é maravilhoso. E sim, eu prometo.